What can I expect from my first session?
As McTimoney chiropractor I will first assess your general health, previous conditions, and existing symptoms.
I will then conduct a physical examination to locate the problem, during which time I will make adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney technique.
If at any point I discover or suspect a condition that requires medical intervention, then I will refer you to your GP for further tests.
Normally your first visit can last anything between 45 minutes and an hour and a half. During this time, I will:
- Take a full case history, assessing your general health, previous conditions, and existing symptoms
- Ask your permission to conduct a thorough physical examinations (this will include neurological and orthopaedic tests, if necessary)
- Refer you for x-rays if they are needed.
- Make adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney technique
In some instances, I may need to ask you to remove some clothing. Privacy and a gown are always provided but do tell me if you feel uncomfortable about undressing.
My first concern is to find out what is wrong. I will also check for signs of any serious conditions for which you would need specialist advice.
Treatment is very much a partnership between us and before your treatment starts, I will explain to you clearly:
- The results of your examination
- The proposed treatment plan
- The benefits and any significant risks associated with your condition and proposed treatment plan
How many sessions will I need?
Most people find between two and six sessions sufficient to address straight forward problems. The number and frequency of treatments will depend on a number of factors, including:
- Extent of injury
- Duration of injury
- General fitness
- Stress (muscle tension & stress on your nervous system)
The anticipated number of sessions will be discussed with you prior to treatment. Once you’re up and running, you can choose to schedule regular check-ups a few times a year to keep chronic conditions under control.
How will I feel after treatment?
During a course of chiropractic care you can expect to feel physical changes as your body realigns. These may include stiffness or tiredness, particularly after your first session. I will give you advice on aftercare and any necessary lifestyle changes to help you get the most out of your care. It is important that you talk to me if you feel worried about anything either during or after treatment.